The Holqa Cafe (New Food Items added)
[The Holqa - New items added]
The holqa cafe recently did minor changes to their shop by adding new wallpaper, decos and increased the number of seats. New chicken wing flavours were also introduced into their menu, together with mini bite-sized burgers.
Me and my gal friends started off with their best selling item: SNS Ji.
(1) Holqa SNS Ji Wings $9 (6pcs)
- Holqa's bestselling wings, coated with Holqa special blend of sweet chilli sauce and sprinkled with peanuts. Love the peanut fragrance circling in my mouth when chew. Sauce was too sweet for me and just like malt candy, too sticky and gluey to my tooth.
(2) Ninja Wings $9 (6pcs)
- These wings were the kid's friendly version of Holqa's original SnS Ji. Difference? No peanuts and chilli. So sweet, I'm pretty sure kids will definitely love them and lick the sweet sauce off their fingers!!
(3) Pineapple Buffalo Wings $11 (6pcs)
- Love the excitement these spicy wings gave me which eventually numb my tongue and lips. Sambal was very spicy, take at your own risk *hahahaha* Pineapple slices were from the cans, you might wanna consider eating them to neutralize the spiciness. My voted best flavour of the night.
(4) Yallow Yallow Dirty Fella Wings $12 (6pcs)
- Wings tossed in very thick layer of salted egg sauce. Salted Egg sauce was sandy and you could still see bits of yolk. Savoury and flavourful, indulge before it turned cold [PS: take your photos faster]
(5) Peanut Butter Space Jam Wings $9 (6pcs)
- Tasted decent but no wow factor. Wings with peanut butter jam, it's something which I could easily pull out from my kitchen.
(6) Holqa Pulled Pork Mini Burger $12 (3pcs)
- Tried Holqa's pulled pork eggs ben previously, these in the mini burger uses the same meat. Pulled pork still tasted as sweet which I suggest Holqa should improve on the flavour instead and reduce the sweetness. The marinades can be heavier or pork should be marinate longer. I do love the hints of ginger from the gingered mayonnaise, unique yet interesting.
(7) Open Sesame Mini Burger $12 (3pcs)
- The patty was very juicy and flavourful, tasted like homemade "ngoh hiang" which my mummy always make. Made up of mainly minced pork and prawns, the small majority of chestnut bits gave the extra crunch. 1 of the boss, Welson, told us that the secret recipe comes from his mum but he fine-tuned it umpteen times to achieve this current delish finished product. How I wish if Holqa serve these patties with rice :) Per share comes in 3 mini burgers and fries, delicious but rather pricey for $12.
(8) Fries with Secret Dip
- Served with a small bucket of shoestring fries and a yellowish dip, initial look we thought was salted egg flavour but we were wrong! The dip may taste very familiar to most of you, eggy and sweet. But this item not on menu yet because still at experimental stage so try your luck with the bosses when you're here. They might let you taste it if you're lucky :)
(9) Crabbies Strawberry and Lime alcoholic Ginger Beer $9
- A very smooth and refreshing beer. The beer carries a really nice strawberry aroma. Taste of ginger wasn't overpowering, only hints of it lingering in the mouth.
Verdict: Wings with asian touch, bold and creative but there's still room for improvement regardless on the flavours or time management. These wings were prepared only upon ordering therefore you might need some patience before getting your fingers on them. What's fried chicken without beer? Do try out the different types of bottled beers, there's definitely 1 suitable for you. For these new items added, strengths were the homemade patties in the "open sesame" mini burgers. Holqa can consider creating new dishes with these yummy pork prawn patties. Not forgetting to mention, all the bosses (students) and staff were nice friendly people. Do visit them for some wings if you're at near this vicinity.
37 East Coast Road
Tel: +65 66357010
Thurs - Fri 12noon to 9pm
Sat - Sun 11am to 9pm
(Mon - Wed Closed)